Plants and Their Unique Healing Properties
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the art and science of utilizing naturally extracted essential oils from plants to balance and promote the health of body, mind and spirit. As a holistic practice, aromatherapy is a natural, non-invasive modality designed to affect the whole person and to assist the body’s natural ability to balance, regulate, heal and maintain itself. Essential oils have been found to provide both psychological and physical benefits when used correctly and safely.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the highly concentrated version of the naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds that are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. Powerfully fragrant, essential oils give plants their distinctive smells and help the plant to adapt to the ever-changing internal and external environment. They can help to protect the plant by their antifungal and antibacterial nature, working as nature’s defense mechanism for plants and cells! Essential oils are highly concentrated (50 to 70 times more powerful than herbs).
Why are essential oils effective?
Essential oils have been used throughout history in many cultures for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Essential oils work at the cellular level and protect cells. Essential oils are nutrients that penetrate the cell membranes. Unique chemical structure allows oils to pass directly through the skin for immediate systemic response to topical application.
Here’s a list of essential oils and the health claims associated with them:
Lavender Essential Oil
- Widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities.
- Soothes occasional skin irritations.
- Helps to ease feelings of tension.*
- Reduces anxious feelings.
- May support the heart and cardiovascular system.*
- May help to support healthy immune function and response during times of seasonal threats.*
- Evokes positive feelings of self-awareness.
- Take Lavender internally for a peaceful sleep.*
Melaluca (Tea Tree) Essential Oil
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin.
- Reduces the appearance of blemishes when applied to the skin.
- Promotes healthy immune function.*
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats.*
- May support healthy cellular function.*
Lemon Essential Oil
- Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces.
- Very uplifting and energizing and may help to improve mood.
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.*
- Supports healthy respiratory function and may help with seasonal respiratory discomfort.*
- Removes stubborn, sticky residue off surfaces.
Peppermint Essential Oil
- A non-stimulant, invigorating pick-me for when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
- Promotes digestive health and helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing.*
- Repels bugs naturally.
- Relieves feelings of tension.
- Place one drop in your mouth to help freshen breath.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Helps to lessen feelings of tension and promotes feelings of relaxation.
- Promotes feelings of clear breathing and open airways.
- Purifying properties are great for cleansing surfaces and the air.
- Promotes an uplifted mood.
- Offers soothing support during menstruation when massaged daily onto the lower abdomen.
Frankincense Essential Oil
- One of the most prized and precious essential oils due to its extensive health benefits.*
- Induces feelings of peace, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
- Supports healthy cellular function.*
- Reduces the appearance of blemishes and rejuvenates the skin.
- May support healthy immune function and response.*
- Supports the overall health of the digestive system and the GI tract.*
- Helps to keep the gums, the teeth, and the mouth looking clean and healthy.
- Supports the health of the cardiovascular system.*
- Supports healthy nervous system function and is calming, soothing, and relaxing to the nervous system .*
- May have cleansing properties and can help to protect against environmental threats.
- Promotes healthy joint function.*
- Helps to support healthy liver function.*
- Supports a healthy musculoskeletal system.*
- May help to support healthy bladder and urinary tract function.*
Wild Orange Essential Oil
- Contains powerful antioxidants.*
- Promotes overall health and supports a healthy immune system.*
- Powerful cleanser and purifying agent.
- Diffuse for an energizing and revitalizing aroma.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.*
How do you use essential oils?
Essential oils are used for a very wide range of emotional and physical wellness applications. They can be used a single oil at a time or in complex blends in one of three methods: Aromatically, Topically, or Internally.
Inhale or use diffuser. What you breathe affects your mood. cleanse and purify the air of unwanted odors.. Supports breathing.
Essential oils are easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied topically. One drop of essential oil can service every cell of your body and, when applied to the bottom of feet, can nourish your blood stream within 30 seconds.
Certain essential oils have a rich culinary history and can be used as dietary supplements for targeted wellness.
Why dōTERRA essential oils?
As part of her training, Susan, our aromatherapist, thoroughly vetted essential oil providers and chose dōTERRA Essential Oils as her provider of choice due to the quality and purity of their essential oils and their ethical and sustainable sourcing.
Quality and Purity of their Essential Oils
dōTERRA developed a quality standard for essential oils called Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® [CPTG]. It is a sophisticated certification process that strives to represent only the safest and most beneficial oils available in the world today.
For an oil to be CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade the oil must be:
- Pure and natural, with aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants
- Free from fillers or artificial ingredients; no dilution of active qualities
- Free of contaminants, pesticides, or chemical residues
- Rigorously tested for standards of chemical composition
- Cross tested using mass spectrometry and gas chromatography to ensure exact purity and composition potency
- Sourced by a global network of leading essential oil chemists and growers to ensure correct species, growth in ideal environments, and that raw plant materials were carefully harvested at the right time
dōTERRA’s quality standard for essential oils exceeds essential oil industry standards. However, because organic certification varies from country to country, province to province, and in the US, from state to state, it is not currently possible to acquire all oils under certified organic status.
Ethical and Sustainable Sourcing
Many of the dōTERRA essential oils are sourced in developing countries, which represent ideal growth environments for certain plants. dōTERRA created a “Co-Impact Sourcing™” program, which serves to work towards improving lives and communities throughout the world. The program helps create alliances or coalitions of growers and distillers that ensure local communities receive fair and timely payments to support their families and communities. dōTERRA works with these coalitions to provide the resources, tools, and training necessary to ensure a long-lasting partnership. Most importantly, dōTERRA pays their growers regularly – even if the crops fail or the batch is of insufficient quality – with bonuses for high quality production. This ensures that the communities have stability and creates sustainable, quality sourcing.
Interested in learning more about essential oils?
Check out our upcoming workshops! Crafted by our certified aromatherapist, each workshop (generally free and open to the public) allows participants to learn more about how essential oils work and their many uses. We often give participants to opportunity to create a product to take home with them. Topics have included: Essential Oils 101, Supporting Stress & Anxiety, Blending 101, Energetics of Essential Oils, Natural Sun Solutions, Green Cleaning, First Aid 101, Mood Management, Improving Focus and Memory, etc.
Host an Essential Oils 101 Event
Susan Niedt, our certified aromatherapist, and Erin Brendel, a Wellness Advocate, are available to run an essential oils class from the comfort of your own home (or business!). These Essential Oils 101 Events have been very successfully received in the past and can be tailored to meet the needs of the host. If you are interested, please contact us and ask for Erin.
Schedule a Wellness Consultation
Susan and Erin are also available for a 1 on 1 wellness consultations. This is great for someone who is very interested in or committed to incorporating essential oils in their life and is looking for guidance in purchasing and using essential oils and products. If interested, you can contact us and schedule a consultation.